Wednesday, June 10, 2009

GET MOVING

So as I mentioned in an earlier post, my girls ran in a kids fun run. I was thrilled they were even interested in signing up but I was more than proud when they ran the run, finishing it all by them selves.

I will be the first to admit that I am not the most active or athletic person these days. I wish I was, and while I have excuses, none of the are really a reason that I am not moving more these days. When I was a child I was very active, I was a gymnast, a soccer player, basketball player, swimmer and there wasn't a single summer day that I wasn't out on my bicycle. Today, life and work have gotten in my way and now I am just out of shape ( I am ashamed to say). I could do with losing a few pounds but more than that I would like to be in better shape, to be able to keep up with my kids.

My children, like most children, are busy. They are up in the morning and outside before breakfast, riding bikes, scooters, skipping, running and playing.

According to Active Healthy Kids Canada's annual report on physical activity, Canadian youngsters get a failing grade when it comes to getting active. In 2008, 87 per cent of children and youth did not get the recommended minimum of 90 minutes of physical activity a day.

Despite the large proportion of children not meeting the guidelines, it's still an improvement compared to 2006, when 91 per cent of kids weren't reaching the target according Active Healthy Kids Canada. The biggest culprits? TV, computers and video games.

Those numbers are sad. Children should be active, enjoying the world. Most children are carefree. Most adults should be too. I am making a pledge to be more active, whether it's walking instead of taking the elevator or walking around the block or even going to the gym!

What are you doing to keep moving and get your family more active?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment