Tuesday, May 18, 2010

IT TAKES A VILLAGE.....

There is that very famous saying "It takes a village to raise a child". I truly believe that. I was lucky to grow up in a very close community. We knew all our neighbours and my friends lived on my street. I always felt safe in my community and I knew that everyone's Mother was keeping an eye on me ( of course, that is both good and bad if you know what I mean? You could never get away with anything because someone was always watching, ready to tell my Mom and Dad.) I hoped that some day when I had a family I would be able to give my kids the same kind of experience. Well, I am glad to say that we live in a pretty special neighbourhood with pretty special people living around us.

The picture above is one I snapped yesterday of my youngest daughter talking our next door neighbours ear off. He was gardening and my daughter spent about 2 hours talking to him as she helped him garden, as she rode her bike and just hung out. This neighbour isn't the only person on our street to indulge my children like this. Just about every person on our street takes the time to talk to my girls. They never make my kids feel like they are bothering them and always make them feel like they do have something interesting to say.

There are no words to say thank you to those special neighbours of mine. It warms my heart. It really does take a village ( neighbourhood) to raise a child and I am glad that I have some very special  neighbours to help enrich the lives of my children

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the follow on twitter. It is fantastic to link up with another Canadian Blogger :O)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment