Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Feeling Sleepy

I don't know about you but I am feeling a little bit sleepy. OK, a lot sleepy. Most days that is the norm for me since I work evenings but today I am finding a lot of other people joining my band wagon. That could have something to do with daylight saving time. We moved the clocks ahead one hour Sunday morning and research finds the first Monday after the time change we are just a lot more tired. We apparently start Monday about with about 40 minutes less sleep than normal. Recent studies have found there's a higher risk of heart attacks, traffic accidents and workplace injuries on the first Monday of Daylight Saving.

And here it is Tuesday and I don't feel anymore refreshed than I did yesterday. Actually, I feel more tired today. I think it is all just adding up.

Here is a bit of unfortunate news when it comes be being sleepy. The brain of a person who does not get enough sleep--in quality and in quantity--is unable to operate efficiently. Health, emotions, memory and more are affected. It's enough to make you want to go to bed early, isn't it?

If you're getting fewer than 8 hours of sleep at night, there's a good chance that stress is involved. For some people, stress keeps them from sleeping as well or as long as they'd like. For others, the busy schedules that don't allow enough time for sleep are the same busy schedules that bring excess stress.

There are things that you can do

*Over the next few days, start going to sleep 10 to 15 minutes earlier, and getting up 10 to 15 minutes earlier as well
*sleep experts say a bedtime routine is also important to help you get a good night sleep.
* unplugg the technology. Try to turn off the phone, blackberry, television at bedtime so that you can settle your mind and get a proper sleep.
*create a cave. Make sure your room is dark and cool because this will help your mind get into that proper state needed for sleep

 I would love to hear about any of your sleep solutions. What do you do to get a good night sleep.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment