Friday, March 11, 2011

My Frugal Confession

I have debated in my mind about whether or not to write this post... I have an image to uphold after all ( NOT)

So here is the thing. I have been trying to cut back on my spending and stick to somewhat of a budget. I am trying to cut down on the non-essential things that I buy and spend money on and that includes all those beauty things, like hair cuts, nails etc. I know I can almost hear some of you cringe just at the thought of it. Yes cutting back meant cutting back on the visits to the salon and that expensive cut and colour. I have gotten into the habit of going to the salon about every 8 weeks for the works, colour, hi-lites, low-lites and a cut. Anyone out there that goes to a salon knows how pricey that can get. We are talking about $170 per visit. Ouch.

Being on a budget means spending that kind of money on hair is not an option...sooooooooooooooo I had to come up with plan B since my hair had gotten longer than I like, the style had grown out and I was showing some seriously scary roots. Here is where my confession comes in. A few weeks back I decided to throw caution to the wind and go to one of those no appointment necessary hair cutting places. My choice was First Choice.  I was a little worried. It had been years since I had gone to one of those places. I had had some bad experiences in past, a couple of good experiences but the bad out weighed the good to be honest. I was nervous so I took my 5 year old along for moral support.

I didn't go for too fancy a cut. I took a picture from a magazine to show what I was going for. In the end it turned out OK (no pictures please...OK maybe later) It was shorter...it looked OK. Not exactly what I wanted but all in all it wasn't bad. I could still go out in public at least but I wasn't done yet. There was still the little problem of those roots so I hit the near by Shoppers Drug Mart. I grabbed a box of colour, a nice brown. My 5 year old daughter helped to pick the colour and we headed home to fix my colour.

So here is how it all came out ... the hair cut cost me a little more the $15 ... let's say a little more than $20 with tip and the box of colour cost me $8 dollars. So for about $30 I got a little refresher on my hair. I still plan on going to the salon but just not as often. So that was $30 rather than $170 .This was a great solution to keep me on budget but still have a decent hair style BUT I am not ready to give up the salon completely.  I just won't be going as often.

What are you willing to give up or put on hold for the sake of a budget?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment