Tuesday, August 16, 2011

When is a Sick Day Not a Sick Day?

So, when is a sick day not a sick day? When Mom is sick. And if you are a Mom you know exactly what I am talking about.

I have been suffering with a brutal cough for about 8 days now. It is bronchitis. I was so sick last week that I was off work for three days. Three days that I should have been lying in bed, resting and working to get rid of this cough BUT instead I was playing Mom, as well as being sick. There really is no such thing as a sick day when you have kids. They still need Mom no matter how she is feeling. They still need help finding clothes, getting breakfast, lunch and dinner, finding that ever special toy, sorting out the latest fight, calling a friend for that play date that shouldn't even be happening because Mom is not feeling well and  just needing Mom for what ever it is that sparks their fancy.

My kids were pretty good about letting me sleep past 9 a.m. and letting me rest on the couch but it just isn't the same. I think back longingly to those days before kids when I got sick and could stay in bed all day watching television with no one to look after but myself. Getting sick when you are childless just seems so much easier. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about my kids. I do love my kids but Mom is just a bit crankier when she is sick and has to fix grilled cheese sandwiches while coughing up a lung.

 How do you cope when you are sick and still have to look after the kids?






2 comments:

  1. Yep...totally know how you feel. Some how or another we mange to battle through with the hopes of getting better.

    Is there anyone who could take the kids off your hands for a day (or two) so that you can rest? Sleepover at Grandmas?

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS... Wendy. My kids are not big fans of sleepovers.

    It is true.. some days it is a battle.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment