Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Five Tips for Me Time: My www.amotherworld.com post

5 Tips for Me Time

by Christy Laverty
There is no doubt Moms work hard. We work outside the home, we work inside the home, we take care of our kids and our husband or partner,  we take care of the kids at the school, friends and somewhere near the bottom (at the actual bottom), we find ourselves.
Moms are notorious for putting themselves last and that is just not good. It is important to take care of you. Moms have a lot on their plates and in order to get it all done we need to take care of ourselves!
Here are just a few tips on how I think we Moms can take a few minutes of ME time to relax and feed our minds, bodies and spirit. And what is great is everything on this list is no cost or low cost. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to nourish yourself.
1.  Put Your Feet Up
With all that we do every single day, finding time to actually take a load off and put up your feet can be hard but it is necessary. I know I can go, and go and go and by late afternoon I realize I haven’t sat down all day. It is a simple thing to do but so important to slow down and sit and relax. Find 15 minutes every day to relax, grab a coffee, tea or cold glass of water and just RELAX. The dishes and laundry can wait 15 minutes for you to take a breath.
2.  Read a Book
This is a good one to go hand in hand with putting your feet up. I love to read and don’t do it enough. I don’t steal enough time for me to read. Reading always takes me away and helps me relax.
3.  Take a Walk
This is important to do. I am guilty of forgetting to do this but exercise is so essential for all aspects of mind, body and spirit. I say walk because it is something just about everyone can do, no matter your fitness level. It will get you out of the house, out in the fresh air and will get you moving. You don’t need to walk for hours but a short walk is a great place to start. Instead of driving to mail a letter or go to your neighbourhood bank branch walk!
4.  Take a Bath
This will give you a chance to actually close that bathroom door and have a few moments all to yourself. Toss in a little bubble bath and pamper yourself. You deserve it for all that you do for everyone in your life.
5.  Find a Friend
Everyone needs a friend or two in their lives. A solid support system or network is priceless. I just had brunch with two girlfriends I have known since high school (for anyone who is counting that is over twenty years). It is so great to meet up with them and talk, share and commiserate with them. I always feel lighter, happier and more joyful after meeting with friends. Take a few minutes to call a friend, email a friend, have coffee or even lunch with a friend. Not matter how you do it just connect with friends, the love you share will lift you up and support you in your busy life.

Christy LavertyChristy Laverty is a mother and an editor for a Toronto all news radio station. She also does freelance writing for several parenting magazines. Visit Christy’s blog where she updates the trials, tribulations, and fun of being mom of two beautiful girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...Please leave a comment